Ex-police commander whose corruption convictions were quashed hailed appeal victory only to be given bad news later
Ali Dizaei has been suspended from duty at Scotland Yard, just hours after he announced he had won his appeal against dismissal from the force.
The former police chief was sacked after being found guilty of corruption, but theconviction was quashed in May of this year. He faces a retrial on the charges early next year.
On Friday morning, Dizaei expressed his delight at his reinstatement by a home office panel but later on Friday afternoon, his employer, the Police Metropolitan Authority (MPA), having initially refused to comment, took the wind out of his sails by announcing that its professional standards cases sub-committee (PSCSC) had suspended Dizaei on full pay.
The MPA said the sub-committee met on Thursday and "after careful deliberation unanimously decided to suspend him". It said the decision was not formally notified to Dizaei until 4pm on Friday.
The former National Black Police Association president's return would have been an embarrassing prospect for Scotland Yard and the MPA. Confirming his reinstatement, before the announcement by the MPA, PBS Law, which represents Dizaei referred to his battles with the force and the MPA. It said: "Commander Dizaei has always maintained that his previous dismissal from the Metropolitan Police Force pending his criminal appeal was in haste and unfair.
"That appeal was heard in May of this year and resulted in the quashing of Commander Dizaei's criminal convictions.
"Commander Dizaei has ongoing proceedings in the employment tribunal against the Metropolitan Police Authority and a number of senior individuals in that organisation relating to the way in which Commander Dizaei has been treated over a substantial period of time."
Dizaei has also been a vocal critic of the Yard's record on race and some of his colleagues were said to have greeted his conviction last year by popping champagne corks
Before the sub-committee's decision was communicated to him, Dizaei said he was delighted by the decision to uphold his appeal, which was taken by the Police Appeals Tribunal (PAT) – whose members are appointed by the Home Office – on Wednesday.
The MPA said: "On 28 September 2011, the Police Appeals Tribunal (PAT), whose members are appointed by the Home Office, met to consider Dr Ali Dizaei's appeal against his dismissal from the Metropolitan police service.
"The PAT upheld his appeal against dismissal. On receipt of their decision on 29 September, the Metropolitan Police Authority's professional standards cases sub-committee (PSCSC) immediately convened to consider the current status of outstanding matters concerning Commander Dizaei.
"On receipt of their decision on 29 September, the Metropolitan Police Authority's professional standards cases sub-committee (PSCSC) immediately convened to consider the current status of outstanding matters concerning Commander Dizaei.
"After careful deliberation the PSCSC unanimously decided to suspend him. Suspension is not a disciplinary sanction and it is emphasised that suspension should not be taken as a presumption of guilt. This has been approved by the IPCC in accordance with police regulations. Commander Dizaei was formally notified by the MPA at 4pm on Friday 30 September 2011."
Dizaei was jailed for four years in January 2010 after a jury at Southwark crown court found that he had abused his position as a police officer and tried to frame a young web designer in a row over £600. Dizaei was dismissed from the police service in disgrace, ending a 25-year career. But in May this year, the court of appeal quashed the conviction after new evidence was presented.